Newsletter December 2020
Recruiters for the Copier Channel® for more than 30 years, Copier Careers® has been the only recruiting firm exclusively dedicated to connecting Copier Channel employers with experienced service technicians, copier sales representatives, sales managers, service & operations managers, controllers, support staff, and MPS/MNS experts. Start your month off right with Newsletter December 2020: Copier Channel news and career advice. Search copier jobs now.
Most of our plans for 2020 had to be thrown out the window at the advent of the pandemic. So how can we make resolutions for 2021 knowing the sheer scale of the uncertainties we face? Try these tips to make meaningful but achievable goals:
- Be realistic. The quickest way to fail is to make your goals unattainable. Say you want to get in shape. The first thing you need to do is accept the reality of your situation – if you can’t count on your gym being open, don’t make a goal that depends on going. Your second task is to accept what you can and cannot do right now – don’t jump straight into working out every day, instead set a goal for two-three days a week.
- Prioritize things you love. Most report having reduced time and energy during the pandemic between the extra safety logistics, school being partially or entirely remote, closed spaces and the increased isolation. Focus your goals on things you think might bring in some variety and help you recharge – whether that’s getting out for walks, refreshing old arts and craft skills, getting to bed earlier, reading more books, etc.
- Create visual reminders. We’ve all got a lot on our minds these days so help you help yourself. Write your goals down and leave them in a place where you’ll see them every day. You can also leave yourself visual reminders for individual goals. For example, if your goal is to read more, leave your book sitting out on a table or nightstand where you’re sure to see it. Out of sight is out of mind.
- Make one change at a time. Even in the best of circumstances, it is impossible to lose weight and exercise more and learn a foreign language and quit smoking and take up snorkeling all at the same time. Pick your most important one or two goals and focus on completing them first.
- Be persistent. Experts say it takes 21 days for a new activity to become a habit, so make the most of that first month. If you can make it through January, you’ll be in good shape for the rest of the year. And, honestly, why wait for January? When you’re ready to start, go for it!
In the market for a new job? Our job board features hundreds of copier jobs with top employers, updated daily. Search jobs now.
As 2020 comes to a close, it’s time to look back at the big stories from the past year. COVID, of course, looms large this year but we shouldn’t forget other 2020 industry news stories.
Xerox & HP Drama Is a Big Deal, Until It Isn’t
- February: Xerox – led by Carl Icahn – Proposes Buying Out HP. HP is not amused.
- March: Xerox proceeds anyway, Canon threatens breakup with HP if Xerox succeeds, HP takes poison pill.
- April: Xerox suddenly withdraws hostile HP buyout offer, blaming COVID-19. HP barely acknowledges the end of Xerox’s unwelcome pursuit.
- April: Copier Careers sends a message of hope to the industry, creates landing page for news and resources on COVID-19.
- April: In light of COVID-19, Copier Careers delays publishing annual salary surveys.
- April: HP announces partner relief initiatives.
- July: US Bureau of Labor Statistics released encouraging increases in June employment rate.
- September: Copier Careers invites readers to share their COVID-19 disruption stories.
- October: Copier Careers featured in Cannata Report’s Business As Unusual webinar, offering a snapshot of the industry’s hiring response to COVID-19
Kodak Pivots to Pharmaceuticals
- July: US DFC loans $756M to help launch Kodak Pharmaceuticals. Kodak stocks soar.
- August: SEC investigation opened over corruption allegations, deal put on hold. Kodak stocks plummet.
- September: Kodak shares continue volatility
- October: Kodak pushing forward on pharmaceutical production regardless of US loan status.
Maze Ransomware Attacks
- July: Xerox allegedly attacked by Maze Ransomware.
- September: Canon confirms attack from Maze Ransomware, 5% of stolen files leaked online.
- April: Canon USA appoints new president and CEO.
- September: Samsung heir indicted again over new allegations of corruption
- November: Copier Careers promotes Jessica Crowley to Senior Vice President.
Last month we discussed ways to stay motivated even in an extended crisis. So we were curious to hear how your motivation was going – do you think you’ll make your 2020 goals before the end of the year? We had a solid turnout of 14,328 votes this month!
The majority of respondents (56%) said they weren’t going to meet their goals but did their best considering the circumstances. Another 25% said it’s too close to call at this point. The remaining 19% felt more optimistic – 17% said they were on-track and 2% said their goals were already met.
Compared to our 2019 poll, the stresses of 2020 are evident. Last year, we had 32% of the vote either on-track (19%) or already done with their goals (13%). And considering how optimistic most of us were about 2020 back in December 2019, it’s likely many had more ambitious goals.
- No but I’ve done my best under the circumstances (56%, 7,976 Votes)
- It’ll be close (25%, 3,542 Votes)
- I’m on-track (17%, 2,365 Votes)
- Already done! (2%, 248 Votes)
- What rock have you been under (and can I join you)? (0%, 29 Votes)
Total Voters: 14,160 (October 30, 2020 @ 7:23 pm – November 30, 2020 @ 10:45 pm)
Some comments from y’all:
- “I can’t believe it, but I’m going to surpass 2019.”
- “My income is down from last year. Trying to make a few deals year end to recover. But will be close to 100% of my revenue plan.”
- “My goal was to stay employed but I was laid off with other techs during COVID. Now my only goal is to get back to work again – I’ve been unemployed for 8 months now.”
- “I’m staying optimistic on the things I can control.”
Looking for top Copier Channel professionals? Copier Careers helps industry employers find the qualified staff they need to grow their businesses. Learn more.
- What could be next – Godzilla? (63%, 8,995 Votes)
- We’re turning a corner! (15%, 2,173 Votes)
- More of the same (14%, 1,953 Votes)
- We’re going downhill! (8%, 1,145 Votes)
Total Voters: 14,266 (November 30, 2020 @ 10:45 pm – December 30, 2020 @ 2:51 pm)