Recruiters for the Copier Channel® for more than 30 years, Copier Careers® has been the only recruiting firm exclusively dedicated to connecting Copier Channel employers with experienced service technicians, copier sales representatives, sales managers, service & operations managers, controllers, support staff, and MPS/MNS experts. Start your month off right with Newsletter September 2021: Copier Channel news and career advice. Search copier jobs now.
IN THIS MONTH’S NEWSLETTER
News from Sharp
Sound Off: What’s the Most Important Sales Rep Quality?
Monthly Poll: What’s the most important service tech quality?
The #1 takeaway from our 2021 Mid-Year Update was the resurging job market. Hiring in this industry has never been busier, more competitive or more challenging that it is right now. That makes streamlining the hiring process more important than ever!
Welcome to our Interviewing Prep series, where we share the most important questions employers and candidates need to have answered before the first interview. This month, we’re covering Service Technicians:
Questions for Employers Before Interviewing Technicians
- What is the base salary range for this position?
- Do you offer benefits?
- Do you have any bonus programs in place?
- Do you provide a company cell phone, laptop, and/or tools?
- Do you provide a company vehicle?
- If you don’t provide a vehicle, what is your mileage reimbursement rate or car allowance amount?
- What is the territory range for this position?
- Are you looking for candidates with specific OEM certifications?
- Are you open to candidates with different OEM certifications?
- Are you looking for candidates with networking certifications?
- Are you open to candidates with basic networking experience/skills without certifications?
- Are you open to relocating candidates? Would you offer any assistance?
- What is the typical interview process for this role? What is your hiring timeline?
- Does your company do a formal background check and drug screening?
- What is your company culture like? What are you seeking in a candidate to fit with the rest of your team?
Questions for Technicians Before Their Interview
- What would it take for you to consider a new opportunity?
- What are you looking for in your next position?
- What OEM, networking, or software solution certifications or transcripts can you provide?
- If you are meeting your company’s benchmarks, what skills help you achieve this success? If you are not meeting those benchmarks, why not?
- Have you earned any service achievement awards?
- What sets you apart from other candidates?
- What was your most noteworthy service call at your current position?
- What are your most successful customer service strategies?
- How would you improve your current service program?
- Do you have a non-compete? If so, how will it affect your ability to move to a new company?
- How quickly would you be able to switch to a new position?
- Are you open to relocation? If so, is your household on the same page?
Interview Prep Series:
In the market for a new job? Our job board features hundreds of copier jobs with top employers, updated daily. Search jobs now.
News from Sharp
Sharp CEO and Chairman, Tai Jeng-wu, announced he will be stepping down by March 2022. Tai has yet to decide on his successor but will make the announcement by the next shareholder meeting, which is usually held in June.
According to the Japan Times, “Tai, sent in by Sharp’s parent company Hon Hai Precision Industry Co.” (AKA Foxconn) “in 2016, took the lead in steering the firm to its first group net profit in four years in fiscal 2018. Sharp has since stayed in the black.”
Last month we discussed important questions for candidates and employers to prepare before an interview for a sales representative. This is part of our ongoing Interviewing Prep series to help you get the most out of your next interview (whether in front of the desk or behind it). So we were curious to hear what you thought was the most important sales rep quality. We had a solid turnout of 12,743 votes this month!
Our runaway winning sales rep quality was being money motivated and hungry for more, taking 65% of the vote. This quality pairs well with a hunter mentality which took 19%. The drive to find new clients and make more sales is key to most sales rep’s success – you need motivation to make one more call, send one more message, visit one more office.
But drive is not enough, once you get your foot in the door you need strong communication (8%), confidence (7%), and other qualities (1%) to help you close those deals and maintain solid customer relationships. As the comments below emphasize, your integrity, long-term view, customer-centered attitude, and more can make or break your sales next week, next quarter, and next year.
What’s the most important sales rep quality?
- Money motivated (65%, 8,314 Votes)
- Hunter mentality (19%, 2,395 Votes)
- Strong communication (8%, 1,052 Votes)
- Confidence (7%, 954 Votes)
- A certain “je ne sais quoi” (0%, 28 Votes)
Some comments from y’all:
- Strong communication skills are a must; but even more important (in my opinion) is following up and actually doing what you say you will do.
- “Sales always needs to stay in touch with the service techs. We often can be their biggest asset in selling new equipment or upgrades to existing equipment. I make it a point to find my sales team whenever I’m in the office. It’s how I better serve my customers. Sales can relay customer concerns to me and I can do the same for the sales team. It’s a great way to get sales leads which in turn makes me more money from tip leads – and it keeps the customer happy.”
- “Character. Too many in our industry are more concerned about ‘me’ instead of the customer’s needs. Being able to build relationships with clients keeps customers for decades. If we are able to take care of the customer first, the money will come, and keep coming for your entire sales career.”
- “Excellent customer service skills are a key component for sales. Listening to the customer and offering solutions to their needs is vital. Communicating with the service department to address those needs contributes in establishing a strong relationship with our clients.”
Newsletter September 2021 Poll
What is the most important service tech quality?
- Problem solver mentality (72%, 9,610 Votes)
- Good customer service (21%, 2,820 Votes)
- Stress tolerance (5%, 720 Votes)
- Strong communication (2%, 216 Votes)