Interviewing Sales Reps
Important Interview Prep for Employers and Candidates
The #1 takeaway from our 2021 Mid-Year Update was the resurging job market. Hiring in this industry has never been busier, more competitive or more challenging that it is right now. That makes streamlining the hiring process more important than ever!
Welcome to our Interviewing Prep series, where we share the most important questions employers and candidates need to have answered before the first interview. This month, we’re covering Sales Representatives:
Questions for Employers Before Interviewing Sales Reps
- What is the base salary range for this position?
- What is the commission structure for this position?
- Do you offer benefits?
- Are there any bonuses in place based on quarterly or annual performance such as OEM spiffs, President’s Club awards, etc.?
- What is the monthly quota? Is there a ramp-up period for new reps?
- What are the On-Target Earnings (OTE) for the first year based on the compensation plan? What about the second year?
- Do you provide a car allowance, cell phone, and/or laptop?
- What is the territory range for this position?
- Does this territory have any existing accounts to work with? If so, what is the ratio of existing accounts to net-new business?
- How often do you require reps to report to the office after the initial training period? Can they start their day from home making calls or do you have set call times, meetings, etc.? Can they work completely remote?
- Are you open to relocating candidates? Would you offer any assistance?
- What is the typical interview process for this role? What is your hiring timeline?
- Does your company do a formal background check and drug screening?
- What is your company culture like? What are you seeking in a candidate to fit with the rest of your team?
Questions for Sales Reps Before Their Interview
- What would it take for you to consider a new opportunity?
- What are you looking for in your next position?
- What are your numbers, both throughout your career and during the most recent month/quarter?
- If you are at-plan or above, what skills have helped you achieve this success? If you are not at-plan, why not?
- Have you earned any sales achievement awards?
- What sets you apart from other candidates?
- What are your most successful sales strategies?
- How would you improve your current sales program?
- Do you have a non-compete? If so, how will it affect your ability to move to a new company?
- How quickly would you be able to switch to a new position?
- Are you open to relocation? If so, is your household on the same page?