Copier Careers® has been the only recruiting firm exclusively dedicated to connecting Copier and Office Solutions Channel℠ employers with experienced technicians, sales representatives, MPS & IT solutions, sales managers, service & operations managers, administration and C-level executives.
The Top 5: Pros and Cons to Behavioral Assessments
Behavioral assessments have become an increasingly popular tool in the hiring process for companies looking to make informed decisions about potential candidates. While they can provide valuable insight into a candidate’s personality, work style, and potential fit within a company’s culture, there are also potential downsides to consider.
Pros: Behavioral assessments can provide objective data to help hiring managers evaluate their candidates.
Cons: While tests can help reduce bias in the hiring process, they are not immune to bias themselves. Determining which traits are “valuable” or “risky” is not, itself, an objective process.
- Predictive Value
Pros: Behavioral assessments can be effective in predicting job performance and identifying candidates who are likely to succeed in the role.
Cons: These tests are not foolproof. Why does an employee succeed at one company but fail at another? The employee is the same but the company’s product, support, culture, territory, etc. (and the economy in general) all serve to complicate employee success.
Pros: Behavioral assessments can help filter out candidates who are not a good fit for the job, saving time and resources in the hiring process.
Cons: On the other hand, these assessments take time to administer and evaluate which can bog down the hiring process. If you’re shopping for an assessment service, make quick turnarounds a priority!
Pros: Using behavioral assessments can help ensure that all candidates are evaluated on the same criteria, which can help reduce bias and ensure fairness in the hiring process.
Cons: No assessment can be truly free from bias. It’s important for hiring managers to be aware of any potential biases and to use assessments in conjunction with other evaluation methods. Do no rely solely on any interview tool!
Pros: Behavioral assessments can provide insight into a candidate’s work style, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities, which can help managers make more informed hiring decisions.
Cons: Some tests can be expensive, which may be a barrier for smaller companies or those with limited budgets. Additionally, some candidates may view these tests as an invasion of privacy, which could negatively impact their perception of the company and its hiring process.
Our Monthly Poll
Take the April 2023 Poll
Are behavioral assessments an effective hiring tool?
- They should be a fraction of the decision-making process (32%, 2,518 Votes)
- They can be effective if used correctly (32%, 2,516 Votes)
- They are not effective at all (18%, 1,412 Votes)
- I’m not sure (10%, 798 Votes)
- Yes, they are very effective (7%, 552 Votes)
Take the March 2022 Poll!
How quickly should employers respond to job applications?
- Within 3 days (43%, 6,164 Votes)
- Next day (24%, 3,390 Votes)
- Within the week (21%, 3,082 Votes)
- Same day (10%, 1,438 Votes)
- Within two weeks (2%, 308 Votes)
- “I work field service on a National scale. I hear from production managers and business owners all the time that they are having trouble hiring good people.
Seems to me when good talented people are in short supply you should respond to the ones that apply quickly. You never know when that next key person is going to slip right past you!”
- “At the very least, they need to confirm that they received your application within a day or two.”
- “If your resume catches the employer’s eye, say on a Monday, there’s no reason they can’t send an email/text or call within the week. If someone’s unemployed or under-employed you need to show some interest…..they did. With both employees and employers “ghosting” each other (yes, it happens on BOTH sides!) One or the other is going to move on. By showing interest within a week, it means you can move the process along and both parties can feel valued. I have been on or affected by both sides, get in touch people, an email or text literally takes less than a minute!“
- “In service, if you are even thinking about getting another technician you need to react as soon as you see an application come in.”
Most Recent Job Placements
Director of Sales
Director of Sales placed at a nationwide managed solutions provider
Field Service Manager placed at a nationwide office technology dealer
Production Print Technician placed at a regional office solutions provider