Poll: What Would Motivate You to Relocate?
Last month we discussed the falling national relocation rate so we were curious to hear what, if anything, would motivate you to relocate. We had a solid turnout this month with 9,005 votes!
We had a tie between “better compensation” and “promotion” for first/second place, each taking 31% of the votes. With the difficulty and expense inherent in a move, those two factors are the ones most likely to offset such risks. “Family” came in close third with 27% of the vote. Many commenters mentioned relocating to be closer to family or relocating for a spouse.
Very few respondents would be willing to move so casually for a “change of scenery,” taking only 6% of the vote. Anecdotally, however, we get quite a few applications from Northerners looking to move South during the winter, especially after a storm or cold-snap.
Lastly, only 4% of voters said they would be entirely unwilling to relocate. Commenters cite a love for their current location, the timing in their career, the difficulty in selling their house, etc.
This shows that the historic lows we’re seeing in relocation rates are not coming entirely from the candidate’s side. They are willing to move, if the employer can provide sufficient relocation motivation. As we’ve seen many times in our polls and salary surveys, compensation, promotion and further room for advancement are key factors for employee satisfaction and retention.
Here are the full results:
- Better compensation (31%, 2,826 Votes)
- Promotion (31%, 2,819 Votes)
- Family (27%, 2,466 Votes)
- Change of scenery (6%, 502 Votes)
- I will never relocate (4%, 392 Votes)
Total Voters: 9,005 (August 31, 2018 @ 2:42 pm - October 1, 2018 @ 2:55 pm)
Some comments from y’all:
- “I have and just did relocate closer to my grandchildren.”
- “One of my previous employers paid to relocate us to Wine Country. My wife and I explored and found the town we wanted to settle in. We drove the stake into the sand and said, ‘This far and no further.’ No, I will never relocate since our community is friendly and supportive. Add to that, being surrounded by awesome wineries and fine wines, why the heck would I want to move from here. Cheers🍷tink🍷”
- “Nothing – I own my home and close to retirement.”
- “Show me the money…”
- “Being appreciated for the work I do for the company.”
- “I have some great benefits where I am. But if I had the chance for a promotion, I would consider a change. Where I am currently, there is no opportunity to move up. We have had the same techs and same managers for quite a few years. We are in a good place but not growing the way I feel we should. And I know I bring a lot to the table and am relied upon to do more than our average technician.”
- “To get a new boss!”
- “With no prospects for my demographic, I would relocate for a living wage improved quality of life.”
- “It’s never one issue that drives relocation…”
- “Better compensation and better living.”
- “I love my job and location!”
- “I recently changed jobs and area due to family needs. It was a step back in pay but I see the potential to advance to management.”