Poll: What’s Your First Job Search Step?
Sometimes the First Job Search Step Is the Hardest
Last month we discussed five easy job search prep steps so we were curious to hear about your preferred first job search step. We had a solid turnout of 10,948 votes this month!
Most respondents said they start their job search by browsing job boards (45%). The second most popular first step was reaching out to your professional contacts, taking 27% of the votes. Close behind with 26% was contacting a recruiter for professional job search assistance. Only 2% of you started your search on social media while a grand total of 8 people prefer the tried-and-true message in a bottle method.
Here are the full results:
- Browse job boards (45%, 4,935 Votes)
- Ask your professional contacts (27%, 2,969 Votes)
- Contact a recruiter (26%, 2,840 Votes)
- Search social media (2%, 196 Votes)
- Message in a bottle (0%, 8 Votes)
Total Voters: 10,948 (September 1, 2019 @ 9:02 pm - October 1, 2019 @ 5:27 am)
Some comments from y’all:
- “I check job boards like Indeed, LinkedIn and Copier Careers.”
- “Never burn bridges – you never know who might hook you up with a new job!”
- “Can’t think of much social media I use… except if you count LinkedIn?”
- “I’ve worked with Copier Careers recruiters a few times over my career.”
- “Every job I’ve had started with a recommendation from a friend, family member or professional contact.”